Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Simple California Rolls

I wanted some sushi so I made some simple California rolls. I used Kirby cucumbers so for each roll I putted two slices of cucumbers to make it long enough for the roll. I used imitation crabsticks but you can also use imitation crabmeat. Imitation crabsticks can be easily found at Asian supermarkets. They are easy to use and cheaper than imitation crabmeat sold in American supermarkets or at least where I live. Below is the detailed recipe. I had my sushi with pickled ginger.




Ingredients:
  • 6 Nori Seaweed Sheets
  • 1 ½ cps of cooked sushi rice
  • roasted sesame seeds
  • 1 cucumber peeled, sliced into long pieces
  • 1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced into ¼ inches pieces
  • 3 imitation crabsticks, sliced in half
  • sushi vinegar*

Instructions:
Cover the rolling mat with a sheet of saran wrap. Place a sheet of seaweed sheet onto the saran wrap. Add some vinegar to the sushi rice for favor and also to prevent the rice from sticking. Thinly spread rice over the seaweed. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the rice. Place the crabstick, cucumber, and avocado about an inch away from the edge.  Roll the seaweed with its fillings. Use the mat to tighten the roll. Cut the ends. Then cut the roll into six pieces. Serve with pickled ginger, soy sauce, and wasabi if desired.







 *You can purchase sushi vinegar at an Asian supermarket or make it.  I made my own. Below is the recipe.
Sushi Vinegar (adapted from GroupRecipes)
Ingredients:
1/3 cp of distilled vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
1 ½ tsp of salt
Instructions:
Combine the ingredients together and bring to a boil. Let it cool before use.

No comments:

Post a Comment